Fellow bird watcher, blogger and friend H.J. Ruiz of Avian 101 has nominated Local Exploration for a VIBA – Very Inspired Blogger Award!
As part of the nomination, I have to share two things:
- 7 things you might not know about me.
- 5 blogs that I would nominate for a VIBA.
Before I get into my answers, I just want to thank everyone who has visited my blog and left comments and feedback since I went live back in June 2010. This blog symbolizes my passion for the outdoors and the wildlife that inhabits it. It is truly a labor of love. I do not profit from this one bit and all of my work is done for free (including the Poughkeepsie Journal articles). While I do have a store online, the money I make from it per year wouldn’t likely feed me for more than a few days. 😛
If it wasn’t for all you readers out there, Local Exploration wouldn’t be where it is today. Thank you again for all your support and I will continue sharing my outdoor experiences with you all! Now, on to my answers:
7 things you might not know about me:
- This isn’t my first foray into blogging. Back when the first Nintendo DS came out in 2004, I put together a fan forum, which quickly spawned a blog ‘Nintendo Evolved’. I wrote reviews and posted news under the moniker ‘DerrickDS’.
- Believe it or not, photography is secondary to hiking. Photography is more of an extension of hiking and being outdoors. I’ve loved the outdoors all my life, and this is just a way for me to share it with others.
- I have taken no classes in photography. I am completely self taught and pick up tips from others when and where I can.
- The exact moment that I decided I wanted to pursue wildlife photography was during a nature cruise in Bar Harbor, Maine. We cruised past an island with a lighthouse, two adult bald eagles, and dozen of seals.
- It may look like I know a lot about wildlife, but I am actually learning as I go along. I had a good base of knowledge starting out, but I wasn’t prepared for the vast amount of wildlife I began to observe.
- I would love to go on safari in a few years to put all of my camera skills to the true test.
- If I had to choose one place in the North American to visit, I would pick Alaska.
5 blogs that I would nominate for a VIBA: